Monday, October 03, 2005

A Green Retreat: Trip to Hakone

Ninety minutes west of Tokyo is a mountainous sanctuary disconnected from the capital’s sprawling concrete. Hakone’s crisp air and onsen (natural hot springs) make it a popular day or weekend getaway. Highlights included rickety cable car rides over mountain ridges, a boat trip on a pirate ship, and a stroll through the renowned Hakone Open-Air Museum. The museum features hundreds of sculptures and paintings from the 20th century in a picturesque setting. Prominent artists include Henry Moore, Picasso, Rodin, Brancusi, Calder and my new favorite, Carl Milles.

Find out more by viewing my Hakone pictures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love the bear + pissed off japanese girl graphics on the side of the gondola. classic.

Anonymous said...

also: i LOVED your japanzine article on car names. you're a funny dude...

Anonymous said...

Looks as though it was a wonderful trip Jeffrey. Fantastic pics. I love the warning sign, it looks like something I would be rewriting. I wonder if I would have been allowed in with my 'dedicate bronchus'. That's Gold!