Thursday, February 09, 2006

A Case of Pen English

A pen or pencil case is a Japanese student’s best friend (after a cell phone, of course). All have one as if it’s some kind of decree from the board of education. I even used it as a word in hangman (click on photo). Puma and Mizuho corner a quarter of the market. Many bags are adorned with dangling trinkets or charms, which are often Disney or Japanese anime.

After investigating the desktops of nearly 1,000 students, below are the top 15 incongruous English phrases printed on students’ pen cases:

15. Sweet Cool Apple Jam
14. Baby Young Deer Bean Bags
13. I Love My Life
12. Supper Happy Girl
11. Happy Love Boy
10. Lovers Girl
9. Happy Memorial Sky
8. Dangerous Zone
7. My Enthusiastic Heart Feeling Season
6. A Good Day Is Expected to Begin! A Wonderful Presentiment
5. How About Exploring Some Unknown Spots Or Passing Through Tempting Byways
4. Milky Star
3. Milky Berry – They Hear Only Pleasant Sounds
2. One Day They Attacked, Many Bees. Romp Fighted Bravely Against Bees.
1. Please Eat Me

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Konnichiha!
First time here, I am Japanese living in California.
I enjoy your blog, it brings back my school memory.
I bookmarked your blog. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure one of the kids in the back is flashing the shocker. Does that mean "Happy Funtime Angry Bees" in Japan?

ジェフリー said...

Thanks, greensleeves!

Greg, I think it was an eerie coincidence. This was at a good school. The kids are more innocent here.