Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Corporate Shock

Posted by: marmotny
Corporate Shock
A tie slithered around my neck for the first time in 2005. No dress code required in India, Oman, the U.A.E., or my living room. But now I'm fending for myself in the land of the rising sun, which means it's time to re-enter the land of the working.

Yesterday's interview with an executive recruiting (head hunting) firm was startling. I met two Australian partners of this small company located near the American embassy. Their office overlooks a small temple and, ironically enough, shares the same building as the embassy of the Federated States of Micronesia. Visions of Guam swirled in my mind on my way to the 5th floor.

This is a money hungry sales position. You collect names of those in your assigned field (in this case, pharmaceuticals) and cold-call executives to convince them to meet with you so you can sell them a job opportunity with a company (Pfizer, GSK, etc.) that is your client. If successful, I skim 10% of the person's salary as a finder's fee. Working on 100% commission means I get paid only when I place a candidate with our client company. The potential for first-year income is $60,000-$120,000, but requires I-banking hours and a confluence of external factors aligning favorably. Payout is like a lunar eclipse. Successful placements could occur once a month, or once every three months. Now, where did I put that tide chart?

Red flags during the interview included comments like "it's all about the money," the question "where do you see yourself at 28, and at what income level?" and encouragement to interview with their competitors, as if I might be getting a raw deal here.

Selling out is the day’s dilemma. Trade my youth for Yen? My gut cringed a few times during the interview. This position is antithetical to my creative and intellectual impulses...but isn't most corporate life? My other alternative to obtain work visa sponsorship is teaching English, which has its own drawbacks of dull, repetitive work at odd hours, including nights and weekends (unless in public schools, where I have applied).

I’m supposed to return to the money hunting office tomorrow for a round two interview. Cancel? On Friday I'm meeting with an event staffing/modeling agency about part-time opportunities. Like everything else, you need a work visa, but it will be helpful to see what exists in this industry here and how it works. I think a Playboy sounds more fun than a Payboy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You traveled half the earth to endeaver in a monotonous, money-thirsty corporate vocation in which you're expected to communicate via telephone for companies that are probably located in Westchester, NY?! Can you hear the distress in my voice?! There must be some job opportunity over there that can offer you exposure to the people and culture of JAPAN, not cut-throat Aussies who forgot to navigate south of the equator.