Sunday, April 17, 2005

Smallness Redefined

Konichiwa from TOKYO! This past weekend I settled into my closet of an apartment within striking distance of central Tokyo. I'm a 7 minute walk to the subway where I get a choice of two lines. The neighborhood is quiet, as seems to be most of Japan.

Inside my pad, the approx. 150 sq. foot studio is built for an elf. My head almost grazes against the ceiling if I stand on my toes. My knees rub against the wall when I'm sitting on the toilet. The cupboard closet is so shallow that hangers jut out and prevent the cabinet door from closing. Drawers or hanging space there are not. My "chair" is a glorified stool. I've smacked my head into the overhead lampshade two dozen times in two days. My window overlooks outside hallways of the building next door, but this is common in an Asian city starved for space. The previous occupant bequested ramen remnants of his last meal in the sink strainer. BUT, after a thorough sprucing up (I just dumped bleach onto everything) and redecorating regimen (note: I did NOT choose the curtains or duvet), I'm proud to report Monzen-Nakacho B #208 is fit for living. iTunes thump non-stop. Come on over for a cup of sake and surf my free internet!

For an insider's view of my new digs, click here.

While initially nervous about finding my way in a country where I am rendered illiterate, the transition has been smooth. I figured out the subway within a day, and am getting used to un-New Yorker customs of waiting for the walk signal before crossing and not eating/drinking while walking, which is rude. What then to make of the man shaving with an electric razor on the run?

Yesterday my only friend Michelle (met her at a Japan job interview one year ago and have kept in touch) and I walked around the trendy shopping and dining Ginza district. All the ritzy international retailers are represented. I was comforted to see Brooks Brothers flanked by American flags. We stopped in the new Dior store that is acclaimed for its innovative architecture as well as the Sony showroom with its cutting-edge gadgetry. Their hi-definition plasma screens deliver unsurpassed clarity. Enthralled with a National Geographic animal program, Michelle and I braced for a herd of water buffalo to jump off the screen and stomp into Sony's living room.

Things are going well so far. I've only been stopped by the police once, and they didn't know enough English to ask me my business so they let me go. "USA!," I retorted.

The subject of my next post will be first job interview on Tuesday afternoon. This is a corporate position I had lined up while in the States. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck with your interview! you are so courageous -- i'm so proud and impressed!

by the way, i like the duvet, tho the curtains i could do without...

Anonymous said...

Just steps from the vending machine! I'm personally not a fan of anything with the word 'sweat' in it.

Good luck at the interview! Remember, for a good time, make it Suntory Time.